Hospital says man died in AC blast, wife kills self; now it says he’s alive | Bhubaneswar News – Times of India

BHUBANESWAR: A young, grief-stricken wife died by suicide a day after cremating what she and her family were given to believe was her husband’s body, burned and scalded in an AC explosion at a hospital in the Odisha capital.
Turns out 34-year-old Dilip Samantaray, one among four AC technicians injured in the workplace accident, is alive and recuperating from burns in the same hospital that is accused of wrongly identifying the one who died as him.
Dilip’s distraught wife Sona (24) took her life on New Year’s Day, only for Bhubaneswar’s Hi-Tech Hospital to belatedly clarify on Friday that he is alive. The deceased was apparently his fatally injured colleague Jyotiranjan Mallick.
Jyotiranjan, Dilip, Simanchaland Sritamhad been servicing ACs at the hospital on December 29 when the explosion occurred, leaving them all with severe burns. The hospital pronounced Jyotiranjan dead on December 30 but allegedly identified him wrongly. On January 3, Sritam succumbed to his injuries. By then, the police station had handed over the first body presumed to be Dilip’s to his kin.
News of the goof-up that led to Sona’s suicide triggered an outpouring of protest outside the hospital. “My family is shattered. My niece killed herself over this false information given by the hospital,” Sona’s uncle Rabindra Jena said.
Meanwhile, Jyotiranjan’s family, who had thought that he was alive and didn’t even get to perform his last rites, is inconsolable. “I want my husband back. I failed to recognise him during treatment because of his severe burns,” his wife Arpita Mukhi said.
The hospital denied that negligence was to blame for the consequences of “mistaken identity”. “We didn’t commit the mistake. The technicians were engaged by a private firm to repair ACs. While being admitted for treatment after the explosion, each one of them was identified by a contractor linked to the firm,” the hospital’s CEO Smita Padhi said.
Padhi said the kin of each of the injured patients saw them at the hospital. “We followed all legal and medical procedures. Cops handed over the body to the kin. Nobody from the family reported that the body was not of Dilip.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *