Confusion over worker’s death sparks violence in Surat, 140 held | India News – Times of India

SURAT: At least 15 tear gas shells were lobbed and about 140 persons were detained by the police as rioting broke out in the Pipodara GIDC on Saturday after reports of a labourer being thrashed by a weaving unit owner.
At least five police vans were damaged in stone pelting by a group of over 250 migrant workers of the textile weaving units.
Police registered an offence against a group of people, of whom 26 have been identified and arrested.
Out of the 140 detained, those who were not involved in the attacks on the police or rioting were released.
Police examined video footage from the spot to identify the accused. Police investigation, so far, revealed that misunderstanding among workers about the death of one worker and injury to another worker led to the violent protest.
“One worker died after a fight with a few workers on Friday morning. Meanwhile, a worker was thrashed by owners of a textile weaving unit on Friday evening. It created a misunderstanding among the workers that the one who was thrashed by the unit owners had died and they gathered to protest on Saturday morning,” superintendent of police, Surat, Hitesh Joysar told TOI. Investigation by the police revealed that Amit Baleshwar Patel (32) was thrashed by owners of Nakland Textile, Dinesh Bhadani, Rajendra Bhadani, Mukesh Bhadani, Kishan Nashit and one more person on Friday evening. They called Patel to meet to discuss some issue and it turned into a heated argument. Later Dinesh and others thrashed Amit, who was alone, with sticks.
Severely injured, Amit was taken to hospital and later admitted to New Civil Hospital for treatment. He suffered multiple injuries all over the body. The message, meanwhile, started spreading of the attack on Amit and on Saturday morning workers gathered in a group of around 100 people gathered near Naklang Textile and did not allow the unit to start operation. On being alerted a police team reached the spot and dispersed the crowd.
Later, the workers started gathering in adjoining lanes. To prevent any disturbance more police teams reached the spot and tried to disperse the crowd. Meanwhile, some workers started pelting stone and flung wooden lobs at police vehicles. Police teams had to leave to the spot including senior officers. Fortified, the police entered the area again and dispersed the crowd. Heavy police bandobast has been installed. “Those who attacked police vans did not damage the industrial units. We are ensuring that the industrial units start operating normally,” said Joysar.
A meeting with district administration, police and local industrial associations was held on Saturday evening. Police assured security to ensure the operation of the units.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *